University Counseling Services (UCS) provides a one-year intensive psychology internship. The purpose is to train future psychologists in the core areas of: intake/assessment, individual psychotherapy and case management, group psychotherapy, crisis intervention, awareness of socio-cultural differences, supervision, consultation/outreach, scholarly inquiry, and overall professional functioning.
The UCS psychology internship is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association. This program participates in the APPIC Match (program matching number 161211) and abides by all APPIC Match policies.
UCS psychology internship site abides by the APPIC Policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant prior to Uniform Notification Day. For additional information concerning APPIC policies you may view the website at .
UCS psychology interns are expected to work 40-45 hours per week. Clinical demands ebb and flow with the nature of students presenting during the academic year. Interns may provide additional clinical hours, consistent with overall expectations of UCS staff, when demand is greater. Psychology interns are asked to keep a log of their clinical hours. Below is a delineation of weekly activities during the psychology internship at UCS. This is to be used only as a guideline as intern’s interests and agency needs determine actual hours spent.
Average Weekly Training Activities
- Individual and couples therapy: 12 - 14 hours
- Group therapy: 2 hours
- Initial consultations: 1 hour
- Walk-in coverage: 2 hours
- Staff meeting: 1 hours (twice per month)
Consultation and Outreach
- Consultation and outreach programming: 1 - 2 hours (Primary outreach project & attendance at 5+ events)
Supervision and Teaching
- Practicum supervision: Providing one hour of supervision to doctoral level psychology supervisees
- Psych Intern Seminar: 1 hour
- Outreach seminar/Case conference: 1 hour (monthly)
- Supervision of supervision: 2 hours
- Individual supervision: 2 hours
- Supervision of group therapy: 1.5 hours
- Friday clinical consult: 1 hour
- Training seminar: 2 hours
- Supervision for Concentration: 1 hour (bi-weekly)
- Committee Work - Optional
Application and Selection
UCS psychology internship begins August 10, 2015 and ends August 9, 2016. Applicants must have completed all required course work in a doctoral program in clinical or counseling psychology. This work must include four semesters of supervised practicum experience.
You might also like:
LearnSmart for King Science of Psychology
Courseware Display On Website (McGraw Hill Digital Software)