Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (year). Title of book (ed). Retrieved from url
Reference in text example:
Reference list example:
Sadie, S. (Ed.). (2000). The new Grove dictionary of music and musicians (2nd ed., Vols. 1-29). New York: Grove's Dictionaries.
Zalta, E. N. (Ed.). (2007). The Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. Retrieved from
- If you retrieved the entry from a database (e.g. Gale Virtual Reference Library), add the DOI (Digital Object Identifier) at the end using the format: “doi:xxxxxxx” (Rule 6.32, p. 191).
- If there is no DOI assigned, give the URL of the publisher's home page in place of the DOI. You may need to do a quick web search to locate the home page if you found the article in a library database (e.g. Oxford Reference Online, Gale Virtual Reference Library). There is no period at the end of the URL.
- Second and subsequent lines of each entry are indented 5-7 spaces.
- Double-space between all lines of references.
General reference form - print:
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (year) Title of chapter or entry. In A. Editor, B. Editor, & C. Editor (Eds.), Title of book (Vol.#, page range). Location published: Publisher name.
General reference form - electronic:
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (year) Title of chapter or entry. In A. Editor, B. Editor, & C. Editor (Eds.), Title of book (Vol. #, page range). Retrieved from url
(Firdion, 2004, p.169) [when quoting]
Etzkowitz, H., & Dzisah, J. (2009). University–industry relationships. In J.B. Callicott & R. Froderman (Eds.), Encyclopedia of environmental ethics and philosophy (Vol.2, pp. 344-346). Retrieved from
Firdion, J. M. (2004). Foster care. In Encyclopedia of homelessness (Vol. 1, pp. 167-170). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Jaunty. (1989). Oxford English dictionary (2nd ed.). Retrieved from
- If there is no author or editor of the entry, as in the last example, place the title in the author position.
- If an online version refers to a print version, include the edition number after the title.
You might also like:
Dictionary Science AppDictionary Science App
Mobile Application (BillieApp)